Wednesday 30 September 2009

Goodbye For Now

The past week has been a difficult one for me, as it always is at this time of the year. It used to be much harder but eversince I started teaching Forms 4 and 5 a few years ago, it meant that it didn't have to be 'goodbye forever' after Form 3. Saying 'goodbye' to the graduating classes at the end of this month, however, will be forever, and very hard indeed.

I walked into my Form 5 class today with a cloud hovering over me. I had already said my momentary 'goodbyes' to two Form 3 classes and I had to face another later at night. Nevertheless, I tried to be my usual upbeat self. Being a teacher, it's important that I maintain my professionalism no matter rain or shine. For me, being such an emotional person, it's always a very difficult thing to do - but I do it nevertheless.

So, to see faces half asleep (or perhaps half-awake), quiet, unresponsive and worst of all, not showing any sort of enthusiasm for my class, it kills me. Really, it does. And to think, this is going to be our last month together. I try to understand what they might be going through - exams, family problems, relationship problems, friendship problems, lack of sleep, sick... I don't know; but I try to make excuses for their behaviour. I try to forgive them. I try to not get angry or worse than that, disappointed. Afterall, I try my best to come up with new creative ideas to make learning interesting and fun, such as today's 'Court in Session' for literature. I really hope this is just a one-off. If this is how it's going to be for our last month together, then, it would make no difference to kill me now.

Are my lessons becoming boring? Are they losing trust in my unconventional learning methods? I really don't know...


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now that I've got that out of my heart, I want to dedicate this space to my bubbly, wonderful and crazy Form 3 bunch. You guys continue to make me feel younger than I really should. As if hanging out with 17-year-olds isn't making me young enough, you guys continue to turn back the clock on my youth. Ahh... I'm so going to miss you guys! Until next year and all the best for your PMR! You can do it! I believe in you...


The first 'goodbye' - Alam Gemilang Form 3 Class of 2009







The second 'goodbye' - Mega Yakin Form 3 Class of 2009



The third 'goodbye' - Seri Wawasan Form 3 Class of 2009


7 comments:

Lee Qao Shaun said...

Tcher, don worry. it was fun.
though i would like to participate with u as de opposing team. i'm sur it'll be a heated argument. XD

Beverly said...

Aww man! Your class is always the best u know?!?! I miss going to your class! (ever since form 3 right?) I was looking forward to Tues night. I was always eager to find out some new stuff from your class. ;) Wed morn will always be the time when i start talking abt your class to SG!
Muax

Love,
Bev

Caleb said...

Shaun: Well, I'm glad to hear that. Don't know about the rest though. Haha! Yeah, we would have had a fantastic exchange of words! XD

Bev: Thanks... what you say really means a lot to me. Maybe you don't even realise how much... Yeah... miss having you and the gang in our class too.

Charity_Chien said...

Teacher, in section D pmr, wanted us to described aboun a reletionship of friends.
Can i write about 3 Frenz.Potato poeple
1. Sean n patruck
2. Patrick n Marie
3.Patrick and peter

Sherry said...

OMG!! Teacher!! i dont know u teach my classmate at klang tuition center!! xD

essay best said...

Good byes are always not easy but there comes a point in life when one have to take step to move further. All the best to you and thanks for sharing your feelings with us

Caleb said...

Thank you for taking the time to read my life stories. Yes, I have come a long way since 2009... I've learned how to say 'goodbye' yet not make it forever. :)