Monday 8 March 2010

What's Wrong With Fun?

Recently, I had another case of 'Parental Obstruction'. That's what I call a situation when a parent stops a student from coming to my class, even though the student wants to stay in my class. It's happened before in the past, it's still happening now and I'm afraid it will still happen in future.

I'm fully aware that as a non-parent, I have no experience in raising a child. I also believe that a parent knows what's best for his/her child... most of the time. We are all humans after all and do make mistakes from time to time... such as what this parent did by pulling her child out of my class.

My boss, who's a very understanding lady, told me this, "Her mother said your class is too much fun. So, she stopped her daughter from coming to your class. Her daughter is now taking English class at another center. I asked her how is the class? She said, 'boring'." While my boss doesn't fully understand my concept of teaching, she accepts it and supports me. She advises me to balance my learning and fun, which I just nod to. Despite the fact that I've been balancing learning and fun all along, I don't blame her for not fully trusting in my teaching methods sometimes.

The problem with a lot of Malaysian parents is this - they think that LEARNING = BORING. So, when class is FUN, then there is NO LEARNING - which is totally WRONG! It's very difficult to change this perception that has been ingrained into their minds. To them, all that really matters is the string of 'A's their child gets in PMR or SPM. We can thank our "wonderfully intelligent" education ministry for this mentality that most Malaysian parents have. Let's not also forget the "fantastic" new English syllabus that they've changed to this year. Ugh! All right, I should stop here or else I might start breaking something.

It's funny to think that parents would rather subject their child to torture than let them enjoy their learning experience. When I hear my ex-student say that her new English class is 'boring', it kills me. It really does. Well, I'm disappointed but not devastated. I learnt from my bad experience last year that I've just got to keep fighting the system. Our education system is greatly and painfully flawed and I will continue to fight it! I would be a hypocrite if I were to give up all that I've stood for and give-in to parents' demands for "more exam practises". Gawd! I'm going mad just thinking about it!

Well, if there's one way I can prove to any parent that students will learn more by having fun in my class, it's in their exam results. I've lost count of how many students who've graduated under me, who got 'A's for English in their PMR or SPM. Yet, I'm never too proud of that fact. Rather, it's when my students grow up to be good people, instead of just good students, that I'm really proud. Nothing beats the joy of seeing young minds opening up to a whole new world of knowledge and life's lessons that no book can ever teach them; and to see them having fun while at it! How cool is that?

I hate sounding boastful but sometimes, I have to stand up for what I believe in and defend my teaching methods. If they say LEARNING = BORING, well, I say LEARNING = FUN! And we shall have it!

Speaking of 'fun', well, I sure had plenty with my ex-fifth formers a few days ago. Bet they had lots of fun too. I've always tried to be a friend to my students and every year, I put in more effort and make more sacrifices too as the number of students who graduate under me increase. Now, instead of just three class reunions a year, I have to organise nine! But I enjoy it and it goes without saying that my students appreciate the effort I put in. I'm lucky to have them!

This is actually the second reunion I've organised for this class. Our first reunion was so 'sad', with only six faces, I was determined to get at least half, if not all of the class together. Amazingly, 90% of the class made it - a new record! I couldn't hide my joy. I was going crazy, singing and fooling around in that room that day! Yeah, I'm childish! Haha!

After the singing, we had lots of time to look like lost Japanese tourists (or so I tried to) and even had another round of craziness during dinner at Wong Kok Char Chan Teng. That's where I ate 'Jing Tian' (Oops! I mean, 'Tian Jin') and boy did it taste nice - 'ham ham sap sap' LOL!

We also made time to take one round of what-you-call-that-Japanese-photo-booth-thingy. That was pure childish fun! I loved it! Haha! After that, it was finally time to say 'goodbye'. What was supposed to be just three hours of Karaoke turned out to be a whole day. And what a great day it was! As my ex-student would say, let the pictures do the talking! =)





15 comments:

Paradise Dreamer said...

WOW, Caleb...nice pictures taken of all of us~!!!

haha~that day was really a memorable and happy day for me(^_^)

Thanks for organising this gathering~!!!

Caleb said...

You're welcome and it was my pleasure. It's always nice to see you. Stay the same... keep in touch, friend! =)

yiNyiN... said...

totally agree with you.. learning should be fun!! =)

Beverly said...

learning has always been fun with you around! =) Keep that going. our country is not ready for "learning is FUN" thing lah. dont worry caleb!

Caleb said...

yiNyiN: Haha! Thanks for believing in that. You should come for my classes. LOL! XD

Bev: Well, the more believers in 'Learning is FUN' the better. I'm glad I have you to believe in me. =)

yiNyiN... said...

Lol.. I would love to.. haha xD But i'm going for Mr.Gerald's class already..

studentguest95 said...

Hello there, I know this sounds weird for me to post here especially as a total stranger. I randomly found your blog while surfing around blogger but I just wanna tell you that I think youre a really great teacher from what Ive read above this post. Im a middle school student from selangor too and I really wished that our school had more teacher like you . All OF our fun teacher are leaving school and our school is in big crisis of hell now. Well, I would describe it as hell. Our school had to stay from 7.20am-2.30pm , and there are just too much stuffs and pressure we're getting, every single day we must rush our homework , we have no time to play, or even rest as soon as we got home . Some of us even had tuition after school and came back at 7pm. Our school's pengetua is really ruining everything up. I would not describe too much first. I totally agree with you about balancing study, and I think thats the true way of getting a really successful student when they are out there in the economy working. Being successful is not all about getting A's. I know many student who are really good in academy but they have really low social and other skills as they got out there to work, they never become successful at anything. They dont have anyone to support and not only that but they would not have a normal mind of a human due to the stress of the past which forced them to study without any balancing in their lifes. Youre really doing a great job as a teacher to think that way. I really hope you will not stop being fun to protect the sake of the future generation and let them think like how you do.

Lee Qao Shaun said...

Yeah, Caleb!! I'm covering your back 100%!! I was one of the students who you can say, suffered from "parental obstruction". But then, luckily I managed to come back to your class. How glad I was!! Haha.

Oh, and the gathering was simply awesome. we should do more next time. =)

Caleb said...

studentguest95: Thanks for contributing your opinions and taking the time to understand my thoughts. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've posted a comment on your blog. Hope to hear from you soon. :)

yiNyiN: Stay in Mr. Gerald's class. He's fantastic! He's my "sifu" btw. XD

Shaun: Thanks again and again. You coming back to my class was a magical day! Friends forever yo! =)

TJ said...

Caleb, remember that BOTH the student & his/her parents are your CUSTOMERS.
I see that you could 'market' your services (teaching style, etc.) differently to your 'customers'.

if your teaching methods have reaped benefits (e.g. students scoring A's), then by all means, MARKET IT! The parents won't have anything to complain if their kid is getting an A in English!

anyway, 1 parent doesn't represent the majority. remember that u can't satisfy everyone all the time. so, if MOST people think you're doing good, then you're on the right track.

P/S: Football teams employ weird(funny/diff) methods but if it yields results, then WHO'S COMPLAINING???
so, results matter!

Ryan & Vivian said...

Hey Caleb
don be too upset. My bro and sis were in ur class during their secondary school time and I can tell that they had so much fun learning English from u. They always used to mention how good u are during our dinner time those days. Tuition classes are always the 'burdens' to all of us. My bro and sis used to hate tuition classes until they met u. How amazing!!!! I can see their happy + excited faces everytime I fetch them to and from ur class.

Keep it up!
ViVian

Caleb said...

Teej: Hey, thanks for dropping by and taking the time to go through my post.

Yes, I know that both students and parents are my "customers". However, I am always reluctant to go the way of most tuition centers which advertise that "x number of students at their center scored 'A's... blah blah blah...". I stand against this over-emphasis on results and choose instead to advertise on learning = fun.

Yes, I lose out financially but my center has never been about making loads of money out of results. I know how you see it from a business point of view and I am a businessman too by virtue of being a part-owner of a center but I've always maintained that I am a teacher first and foremost.

I've always believed, "Education is not a business". So, I will continue to serve the "customer" that truly matters to me - my students.

Caleb said...

Vivian: Hey, thanks for sharing your story. Yes, I already knew Kay Sern and Jing Nie enjoyed my classes but hearing little details from you about how they would talk about my classes over dinner - that's something new to me. Thanks!

Hope you and Ryan are doing well in Aus! =)

Steffi said...

I think it takes a generation for the way of learning to change... our parents never had "fun" teachers before, the last time I checked. Hopefully next generation - the seeds that we've sown will reap the benefits of a rewarding learning experience.

I personally didn't enjoy my masters studies - because it was everything else other than fun. We sat and copied notes which were read by the lecturer, word by word - I am appalled that this method still exists.

The last time I learned that way was during Geography class when I was 15. Fast forward 10 years later, nothing has changed.

We've got a huge task at hand.

Yvette Ding Pei Fern said...

hi there Caleb. i totally agree with your teaching method. learning should always be fun indeed. as for your student, i feel sad for her. because if i put myself in her shoes, i bet i'll lose my interest in that subject due to the boring pnp environment. anyway, continue what you're doing because that's the rght way! (well, at least it is for me) hehe.