Wednesday 2 July 2008

Fountains & Waterfalls

There are some days when I have to drag myself to work. For most people, this would be an understatement. For me, well... it's a little different.

I count myself extremely lucky to have a job I love and one which pays enough for my single life. However, there are some classes which I dread going into. The ones where students are talking and shouting and fooling around, having almost no interest in learning at all. I wouldn't be complaining if I was the kind of teacher who reads straight from the book, in a monotonous tone that puts even an owl at night to sleep. I'm not. I put in effort to make lessons interesting, creative, informative and most of all, enjoyable; and yet, some don't pay attention. I give up!
These are my 'waterfall days'... where my whole self just crashes down and I have no mood or energy left to go on...

Then, there are my 'fountain days'... where my whole self rises to a higher plane... where my mood and energy shoots up to its height. Those are the days where I can't wait to get into class to see my wonderful students' faces. What makes these students different? Maturity certainly plays a part but ultimately, it's the fact that they appreciate the work I do for them and they show it on their faces. Nothing beats seeing them having a laugh and enjoying themselves in my class. Knowing that they've learned something useful that day and had fun doing it, is the best present I, as a teacher, could ever ask for!

So, here's to you, my wonderful students... the ones who give me the strength and reason to go on...

3 comments:

to you & we said...

Wow~ u divide your mood and days into fountains and waterfalls. Good way to express~ sometimes u rokz!

Caleb said...

Only sometimes? Haha! XP

K.Y.L.E. said...

I don't u well so I can't say u don't rock