Sunday 29 March 2009

Weekend With Friends

After going through a difficult few days, I needed to go out for some fresh air (well, not that our air is fantastically clean!) and I had the good opportunity to meet up with some of my friends. It was a simple 'yum cha' session at Station 1 to celebrate my ex-student's belated birthday. I texted the whole class (all 15 of them) but only three could make it. While I'm sad that things will never be the way it used to be, when we could all meet every Tuesday in class, I accept that life must go on. So, I give thanks for those who can make it. We had a really good time. Just four guys chatting, teasing and joking over drinks - we were no longer a teacher and three students; we were simply four good friends.

The next night, I was out singing with another group of ex-students at Green Box. We met up to bid farewell to some who are about to begin their college life. Again, only three of them could make it and again, I accepted the situation. We had fun doing silly things in our karaoke room and we sure ate and drank a lot! We were so reluctant to say 'goodbye' so soon, we went for another round of drinks at a nearby 'kopitiam' after our singing session. We were just four friends enjoying each other's company.

The best part of my weekend was that my best friend had returned from Singapore. We had a good lunch and I was able to share my recent troubles with her. We didn't dwell too long on that though and just focused on enjoying our time together. I even accompanied her to her pedicure! I've never been to one before and I thoroughly enjoyed myself (even though I wasn't the one getting the pedicure).

I capped my happy weekend getting my car window fixed, as I chatted with my ex-student over lunch and made a rare visit to IKEA later in the evening to shop for my bookshelf. It was fun even though I went alone. Then, to really get my mood back on track, I received a surprising note from my student on Facebook which gave me the assurance I truly needed. Thanks Aly :)

Well, time for bed. Tomorrow is a new day and the start of another fun-filled week of teaching!

No comments: