Thursday 31 December 2015

Before The Year Ends

To the few special people from the Class of 2015 who spent time with me outside of our classroom. It's been a bittersweet year for me and I just want you to know that you made my days brighter and with you, I was infinitely happier in my limited world of happiness.

August 1, 2014

Dear Siew May,  Poh Wei, Hui Ying and Jin Yu (special thanks to Lee Yi), you helped me to renew our classroom tables with brand new paper sheets and plastic covers. Even though at that time you were still my students, I know you did this out of love for our center and gratitude to me as your teacher. But after that, we hung out at SCM for a movie and we did that as friends. So, thank you.

August 30, 2014

Dear Shing Yi, Seok See, Cheah Yee and Zhi Huai, you have been my faithful and funny companions every Tuesday on our journey back home and it was really nice of you to accompany me to celebrate my 8th Year Anniversary of Being Single. I wouldn't have wanted to spend that day with anyone else. You made me feel that being single was all right and fun. Thank you. 

December 24, 2014

Dear Shing Yi, Roy and Cheah Yee, Christmas has always been my favourite time of the year. However, as the years go by, it's become less of a celebration and more of a disappointment as I recall the many wonderful Christmas celebrations in the past that have now seemed to disappear with my youth. Thanks for making my Christmas Eve magical that year. Spending Christmas Eve this year alone at home made me miss this even more. So, thank you.

2014-2015

Dear Yee Chern, you have been one of my closest students and friends. You seemed to be in Mega Yakin most of the time, whether to help or just be a busybody. Seeing you always made me happy and I miss listening to all your stories. We didn't get to spend much time outside class but I could feel that you treated me as your friend and that's what really matters. Thank you.

June 7, 2015

Dear Siew May, Roy and Yee Hsien, on the past two trips to Publika, I shopped alone and although it was fun, having you accompany me there was much more fun. It was really a wonderful day and although it was also one of the most expensive outings for me, I didn't mind. I was happy to spend that day with you. Thank you.

October 24, 2015

Dear Chyi Lin, Ti Sean, Chun Yin and Jeremy, out of all the boys in 2015, you guys are the craziest and the most fun to hang out with. I love all my students equally but as friends, you guys really rock and I love you more because of that. Thanks for this dinner treat and for seeing me as your friend and brother. I sure miss our topics of conversation. Thank you.

December 7, 2015

Dear Ti Sean, Chyi Lin, Jeremy, Chun Yin, Ee Vyn, Nicole and Cheah Yee, I've never had a class reunion so soon after SPM ended. You guys really surprised me and I was touched and honoured by your thoughtfulness. Thanks for keeping your promise. It means a lot to me. Thank you.

December 8, 2015

Dear Yee Chern, Hui Ying, Yea Ying, Kian Heng, Wei Yi and Ren Jie, you were the second group to ask me out for a reunion but that doesn't make you any less important. I was just as happy to meet you that day as I would any other group. Thanks for remembering me. Thank you.

December 9, 2015

Dear Ti Sean, Roy, Chyi Lin, Jeremy, Nicole, Sindy, Chun Yin, Cheah Yee, Ee Vyn and Hui Ying (special thanks to Min Lee and Pei Ern), as you already know, I had been looking forward to this trip for a long time. I've only been on graduation trips with two other groups in the past so, to go on only my third class trip in 12 years of teaching, it's really something special to cherish. Also, this is the biggest group I've travelled with and also the first group to travel by air. Even though the trip ended with some bittersweet moments, I wouldn't mind going back in time and reliving the entire trip all over again. This here, is one of my favourite moments on our trip - that moment of excitement before the journey, when we are all bound together as one, regardless of our differences. Thanks for giving me one of the best trips of my life. Thank you.

As 2015 is about to end, I am re-evaluating my life. I realise that I was mistaken about certain things - things that I thought were true about some people but actually, they were the opposite of what I imagined. It was just my mistake to expect something else that wasn't. I also realise that I am becoming too old to have the kind of friendship I shared with my ex-students in the past. Maybe 10 years ago I could still be treated like a close friend or brother. Now, I feel I am more like a father or uncle to you than a friend or brother. But it's okay. That's life. We all grow up...

Perhaps in a few years, some of us might change and become strangers to one another and all that is left of our friendship will stay in these photos. I don't know what the future holds but I've been teaching long enough to know that things will never be the same again. I only hope that despite all the changes, our friendship will remain. That is my one wish; my hope above all hopes. 

Till the next time we meet again, my friends. I wish you all the best in life.

Love, forever and always,
Caleb




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to read your post. Keep on posting okay :)

Caleb said...

Thank you, Anonymous. I will post when my heart is moved to do so. Take care. :)

Jimy said...

These pictures made me nostalgic. I also remember the last day of my school. We took so many pictures. We had tears in eyes and smile on our faces

Caleb said...

Hi www.thebestessayshelp.net/, funnily, I don't quite remember the details of my last day in school. Back in those days, we didn't have smartphones to take photos as conveniently and cameras were really expensive, especially to bring to school cause they might get stolen, so my memory of my last day is a bit fuzzy. But yeah, I know how that last of school feels like.