Saturday 24 January 2009

The Fourth Day of Birthday New Year

Well, there's no such thing as a 'Birthday New Year' but this year's birthday celebration has felt exactly like Chinese New Year. Funny that my birthday's right before this year's festivities begin, which was also the cause of my grumbling before this week.

Every year, I check the calendar for when Chinese New Year begins and the day my birthday falls on. Whenever my birthday clashes with the New Year dates, I get upset 'cause I know I won't get to celebrate it as all my friends would either be 'balik-ing kampung' or have already 'balik-ed kampung' (don't think anyone would 'ter'-balik kampung' but that's another story!).

So, I was feeling a little less enthusiastic about celebrating it this year but what a celebration it's turned out to be! Starting with Wednesday's surprise party in class and lasting up 'til tonight's clubbing celebration with my Heng Tai and Chi Mui. In a way, it's felt like celebrating the Lunar New Year... with days and days of celebrations! How lucky am I! And how loved am I!

Just this day alone, I celebrated it 3 times with 3 different groups of friends. There was a free TGIF lunch courtesy of my Heng Tai, followed by a session of karaoke with my Class of 2007 Mega Yakin ex-students. This was something I really cherished as we haven't had the chance to meet up often. Everyone's busy with their own lives after graduating and today was the first time so many of us were together in almost a year. So, I'm thankful and truly happy.

(Even after having graduated for 2 years, we're still friends)

(A very creatively wrapped present from my student. Guess what was inside?)


(I would never have guessed this was wrapped up inside. Love it!)

Immediately after that, my best friend picked me up from my house. She'd come back with her husband just this afternoon from Singapore and her presence tonight made a big difference to me. Eversince we became best friends, she's never been around for the whole year, having lived overseas until now. So, to have her celebrate my birthday with me was just awesome. I even got a present!
(Love the new shirt I got from my best friend!)

We reached the newly renovated Zouk a little before midnight and once inside, I immediately loved it. Mambo Jambo used to be a feature only on Wednesdays but now with Zouk, Velvet and Phuture housed under one roof, it's become a feature on Saturdays as well. As much as I love modern-day music, there's just something about the 70's and 80's that gets me grooving on the dance-floor. It's what I like to call 'Happy Music'. Oh, there was also an interesting incident that happened at Velvet tonight but I'm saving this story for my students in class.

To everyone who made my birthday this year such a great experience, thanks once again. It's been one of the best I've had!

Today's Special Thanks goes to:

Srimen
=====
Candy
Nian Sin
Melody
Seah Ni
Wei Jun
Poh Li
Teong Aik
=====
Joyce
Jason
Shan
Teej
Chin Seong
Ban Cheong
Pei Ling
=====
... and here's one special thanks to 'Girl-Who-Dances-In-Black-Cheongsam'. You gave me that simple joy which I'd been looking for but haven't been able to find for so long. My dancing shoes burned the dancefloor tonight thanks to you. Thanks for ending my wait and making my birthday such an enjoyable and memorable one.

No comments: