Sunday 8 February 2009

The Best Chinese Moo Year Ever!

Eversince I returned from US, I've come to love Chinese New Year. I used to be very anti-CNY. Maybe 'cause I was brought up with an English-educated mentality or maybe I just never understood the beauty and richness of Chinese culture. How foolish was I then!

Well, the 2 years in America totally changed my mindset. I missed home so much when Chinese New Year was around the corner. I missed seeing the colour red plastered everywhere, I missed seeing mandarin orange boxes stacked high, I missed the smell of 'bak gua' being grilled by the roadside, and most of all, I missed the 'ang pau's! In fact, I had to even go for class during Chinese New Year! Thus, I was indeed grateful that my university had a large Chinese community and we certainly celebrated in some style with nearly 600 Chinese from all over the world converging at our university hall.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's been years since I returned home and each passing year, I look forward to Chinese New Year. I've also slowly added to my growing collection of 'samfu' - a tradition which started when I bought my first from Chinatown in San Francisco. I also make it a point to return to my dad's hometown on the eve, even though my grandparents are no longer with us. This year, I didn't return to my dad's hometown for the reunion dinner. Rather, I had it at home with my family. My dad is unable to return due to his illness and I felt that I should be with him at this time of the year.

My first days were filled with family reunions and visits to my 'heng tai's' homes before my brother and I returned to my dad's hometown on the 3rd day of Niu Year. I had a great time playing 'chor dai tee' with my cousins. This has become something of a tradition among the Ho cousins in recent years and it's just for fun. None of us are really the gambling type.

After a full week of rest and food, food and more food, it was time to get back to work. However, the fun still continued to the following week with more reunions and visitations. That's the beauty of Chinese New Year - the fun lasts 15 days!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, as I'm writing this, it's the start of the last day of Niu Year. I won't get to enjoy it as I'll be moving house (something which I absolutely hate). So, I'm thankful and absolutely thrilled that I got to go for a party at the tuition center in Kota Kemuning. My boss and his wife, Mr and Mrs Lee have really done a wonderful thing with this party - a full buffet spread of Malaysian goodies to fill the tummy and exciting games to fill the heart with laughter. What's more, there's even lots of 'ang pau' to be given away. My utmost thanks to them both for having such generous hearts.

Of course, this party would not be a success without the fantastic organisation and teamwork of the committee members. I only know some of the students in the committee so to be fair, I'm not going to list any names here. You know who you are. Once again, thanks for putting so much time and effort into the party. PTAG's Chinese New Year Party 2009 rocks because of you!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A precious few words to my 2 wonderful girls who surprised me by walking with me arm-in-arm from my car to the doorstep at the party, "I totally didn't expect that. You girls really made my day!" I'm such a lucky guy! Haha!

As today is Chap Goh Mei, which is Chinese Valentine's Day, let me end my post today by dedicating this to the both of you.

To the ONE who is full of Heart.


To the ONE who is simply Sweet.

6 comments:

Beverly said...

erm i dont know but i think that ur profile isnt that nice larh... Haha! weird post?

Caleb said...

Yeah, a little weird Bev. What would you suggest? ;)

Beverly said...

erm... wait what i meant was ur profile picture!! =.= only now i realise i miss a word

Caleb said...

Haha! Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. So, how do you like the new one? ;)

乐乐 said...

happy day with us!!
go check it out in my blog!! about the party!!

Princess of the Darkness said...

hi teacher...
pls view my blog if u r free.
^^