Saturday 28 February 2009

Face To Face

I woke up this morning at 7 to complete the last of my replacement classes for CNY. I have to say, it's very rare for me to be up this early on ANY day of the week, let alone a Saturday. However, I was in good spirits as I was going to do group projects with my Form 1 and Form 2 students. I look forward to lessons when I can implement group projects as there are so many real-life lessons I can share with my students. However, I was disappointed with the attitude of some of my students who didn't show much interest in doing the task I assigned them. I won't blame them as they are still young but then again, I've had much younger students who came up with fantastic ideas when doing their tasks. So, maybe I have a good reason to feel disappointed.

Today, I was also going to share some real-life lessons with my Form 5 students through a movie. As much as I enjoy teaching, there are just some things which I can't show my students with a whiteboard and marker pens. As I'm a movie buff myself, I get really excited whenever I have 'Movie Lessons' with my students. I even had the tables pushed aside and the chairs arranged neatly in cinema-style seating to create the ambience. Believe me, I'd even print tickets and collect them at the door if I could afford to! But since I couldn't do that, I did the next best thing - provide popcorn and snacks!

I assume most of my students enjoyed the movie, judging from their laughter and concentration. Most importantly, I hope they went home thinking of the theme and message of the movie.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After rushing to re-arrange the tables and chairs for the next class, I made a dash for KLCC for my facial treatment. Yup! That's right! I was going for my first ever Aster Spring Men's Active Facial Treatment and what more, for FREE! Ah... the good things in life... and even better when they're free. Needless to say, it was a refreshing and relaxing experience at the hands of professionals. The experience was so comfortable I nearly fell asleep in the treatment room. Anyone who knows my terrible habit of deep-sleeping will know that's a dangerous thing to happen in a public place!

After my treatment, I picked up my former student from Pavillion. She had gone to KL to attend a course and since I was on the way back, I offered to give her a lift. It was a chance I wasn't going to pass especially since we don't see each other that often anymore. We had a great time chatting about anything and everything and once I sent her home, I was off to meet with another one of my former students.

This particular student has always been a good listener whenever I needed it and I have been feeling quite miserable at times because we've not had the chance to meet for a long time. It's a strange feeling when you see someone every week for the past few years and then suddenly, you don't see them for a long time. It's something I dread every year and something I expect to happen with all my former students. But it's something I have to accept in life.

We had a great time catching up over 'char kuey teow'. It's not the most expensive meal out there but it's still a delicious meal nevertheless. I sent her home before 9 and then headed to Sushi King as I was still feeling hungry. Once I had my 'takoyaki' and 'tempura' fix, I headed over to my regular Starbucks so I could write this.

It's 5 minutes past 1am now and it's been a tiring day; but it's also been a very happy and fulfilling one and I just can't seem to wipe this smile off my face.

No comments: