Tuesday 23 June 2009

Six Stupid Seconds

Haih... WHAT was I thinking man?

I was in Centro today to do some quick shopping. I had 1 hour in between classes and wanted to be the first few to get my hands on some great bargains since today was the first day of the BRANDED CLEARANCE SALE - 3 words which make me go 'WOAH!' everytime.

So I quickly locked up the centre and drove 5 minutes to Centro. There were quite a lot of people there as expected but not as many to make it impossible to shop. I browsed through some t-shirts and was pleasantly surprised to see that they were ELLE HOMME. I've never owned an ELLE product before - not when a t-shirt costs RM 199! No way! So imagine my excitement when I saw the sign - '70% DISCOUNT'. Woo hoo! Shop! Shop! Shop! I picked out 4 Ts and tried them on for about 5 minutes before deciding to buy 3 for RM 83. Not bad I have to say!

Happy with my bargain hunting, I decided to walk further down to see if there were any more sales. And then it happened - the six stupid seconds.

My eyes immediately caught sight of the sign - 'G2000 - 70% OFF!' OMG! I couldn't believe it! I rushed into the shop and immediately took up a coat off the rack. I put my plastic bag down as I freed my hands to check out the design and cutting. I've always wanted to own a G2000 suit but as I pondered about whether I should buy one, my eyes caught sight of another sign - 'Pants - RM 49'. That's something I've always wanted too! I rushed to check if they had my size and tried it on. Perfect! Happily, I walked around the shop to scout for more bargains and that's when I realised something was not right...

Oh SH#@&$%!! My plastic bag! My orange plastic bag with the clothes I had just bought! I went back to the coat rack and searched frantically for my plastic bag. It wasn't there! I went round and round in circles. I asked the cashier at the counter, I asked the staff working there - nothing. I circled the shop again, rummaging through piles of clothes and searching the floor - again, nothing. Someone had taken it! WTH! Disappointed and frustrated with myself (and also the inconsiderate person who stole my clothes), I dragged myself to the counter to pay for my pants and then rushed to my car as I had to get back to my centre for my next class, cursing myself as I did. I didn't even have time for dinner anymore.

I shared my stupid (and expensive) mistake with my students hoping they won't make the same mistake as I just did. I managed to get over it momentarily and compose myself to teach. After class ended, I decided to call up a friend to pour out my frustrations (Thanks Doc!). After having a long chat with my friend, I locked up the centre and walked slowly to my car still thinking of my 83 ringgit. Later, at the food court while having my dinner, I was still thinking of my 83 ringgit; and as I was driving home after dinner, the 83 ringgit was still haunting my mind. Now, sitting here... I can still feel a heavy sigh in my heart...

Staring at the receipt, I calculated that even though I bought my G2000 pants for a discount at RM 49 from the usual price of RM 159, the fact that I lost my ELLE HOMME Ts worth RM 83, means that I actually spent RM 132 on my G2000 pants! This equates to only a 16% discount. Argh! How could I be so absent-minded? I don't know whether I should laugh or cry?


5 comments:

Steffi said...

no wonder you looked slightly disoriented .. it's ok Caleb. Can buy again, it was on discount anyway ;)

Reminds me of this: Do you know that all clothes hung in IKEA shelves for display are either stamped with IKEA chop or have holes on it (deliberately cut by IKEA staff) to prevent theft? Happens everywhere. We are in Msia afterall.

Beverly said...

Hey Caleb? goshh that was very careless of u. U went crazy when u saw the word SALES huh?

Caleb said...

Yeah, I'm like a girl you know. Oh! SALE! SALE! Haha! XP

Princess of the Darkness said...

teacher,
nvm, everyone does silly mistake before, even me...
Chill~

Caleb said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Why the name Princess of the Darkness though? Sounds so gothic and almost evil. Nyek nyek nyek... :p