Friday 31 October 2008

Graduation Days And Farewell Nights

I had the privilege of attending my students' Graduation Day in their school today. In a way, I could also say that I was going for my own. You see, my school never organised such extravagant and fun activities when we graduated. Nope, we just had our own little class party, which we had to organise ourselves and it was 'Bye bye' til we meet again for SPM. So, this was something which has been missing from my life for quite some time now. Well, not anymore!

The moment I walked past the gates, it felt like a homecoming. It was "Hey, how are you?" and "Wah, long time no see!" and "Wow, look at you! All grown up!" For some reason, I seem to have a million students and ex-students from this school. So much so that I looked more like a school teacher rather than an outsider (some even said I looked more like a student. Ha!).

The hall was three-quarters full with mostly fifth formers dressed in their respective custom made class t-shirts. (That's another thing I never had. Damn! I'm jealous!) Students representing their class took to the stage to give their final performance, ranging from hip-hop dances to group singing. I was happily sitting with my "classmates", enjoying the show while recording some of it on video. Some of the guys cheekily suggested that some girls were checking me out. Ha! (and that's the reason why I'm still single?)

The final performance signalled a flurry of flashes as students rushed to snap photos with their friends. I was lucky enough to be one of them. By 1pm, I had said all my 'goodbye's and left for lunch with two of my "classmates". A day to remember but I didn't have too much time to dwell on that.

Tonight would be my 2nd "Farewell" with another of my classes. Considering I just said "farewell" to one of my classes yesterday, the timing couldn't have been more emotionally draining. It's hard to say how I feel as I go through the course of preparing for my class graduations. On one hand, I feel excited preparing for them. On the other hand, I'm reluctant to complete the task.

Each class gives me a different feeling but they're all special in their own way. I don't like to say which class is better but the truth is, different students react differently to my teaching approach. Some like it, some don't. Still, it's most of them who enjoy my classes, so I let them go knowing I've done my best as a teacher; and as a friend. Tonight's group included some who are special to me as they have been with me for the past 5 years. Seeing them grow from boys to men is an unbelievable feeling. It's hard to beat that.

Of course, 5 years would mean nothing if our relationship was passive. It's the effort from both sides that makes the relationship grow. In light of this, yesterday's group of students deserve special mention as I have only been with them for 7 months but our relationship has sky-rocketed to the level of some of my oldest students. My only regret is that I can no longer spend as much time with them as I have all this while...



Dear Blog,
At times like this... when tears form in my eyes and only these 4 walls can see... I'm glad I have you...

2 comments:

WinterzSkyJuz said...

hey teacher,no i mean my friend^^even 4 or 5 year we have been together and we need to leave each other in the end, doesn't mean its over right? we can still keep in touch.hey after SPM remember to call back all friends go green box or other place k^^see ya,wish me luck in spm..(hope u understand what i wanna say)bye..take care

Caleb said...

Hey friend, you didn't tell me your name :P

Yeah, I know what you wanna say. Of course we'll be friends and still hang out after SPM but things just won't be the same.

Anyway, have to let go of the past, live for the present and hope for the future :)