Wednesday 29 October 2008

The Silence After The Sound

I had my last extra class with my students today. Next week will be our last. As they had not been going to school for the past few days, it was natural that they were happy to meet up and chatted away during the lesson. It got quite noisy and distracting at one point so I had to tell them to keep quiet... and not just once but a few times. Was I angry? No... somehow, I just can't bring myself to get angry with this class. In fact, I find it hard to get angry with all my older classes. I guess I love them too much to want to spoil the fun of learning. Besides, they know how to behave themselves (well, most of the time anyway).

My thoughts then flew to all the 'last classes' I would be teaching this week and next. Tomorrow, I will be saying my first 'goodbye' and I don't even know how to begin...

Back in the room, it was time to say 'goodbye' and as I said, "See you next week" to each of them, the sound followed them out the door, one by one. Soon... all was left was just my bag, myself and the silence. I paused a moment to look around the class... staring at the silence... I felt so reluctant to go out the door. 'At least, they'll be back again next week' I consoled myself.

By the time next week comes, I won't be able to say the same.

No comments: