Saturday 30 May 2009

17 Again

No, I've not seen the Zac Efron movie about a a middle-aged married father of two whose life is falling apart. In fact, I'm nowhere near to getting married anytime soon, much less have kids of my own.

However, the fact is, most guys my age are married with kids and have their career soaring (or just about to). I, on the other hand, am still single with not even a girlfriend in sight while my career isn't exactly rocketing into space.

Not that I care.

The truth is, I'm happy to be who I am and to live the life I'm living now. I don't mind being single despite the loneliness of having dinner alone on most nights. I'm happy to be anything but my age. I may fancy living in my own house and driving a nice car but I don't fancy the lifestyle that will have to come with it; and I certainly don't fancy the stress that's packaged with such a career-driven life.

I want to enjoy my life at my own pace. I want to be surrounded by people who won't give me stress but happiness and laughter; because I like to spread happiness and laughter too. I don't want weekends where I have to clock in at the office to finish off work before my boss strangles me on Monday. I don't want to be disturbed by a baby's cries early on a weekend morning (not for another few years at least). I want my weekends to be just like today... waking up just in time for lunch (Haha!) and then joining my students for a talk on drug abuse at the tuition centre before going off to meet my ex-students for a reunion at Station 1.

Our class reunion today was the highlight of my week (and singing impromptu on stage was probably the highlight of the month!) I treasure these moments above everything else. Especially now that everyone is living their own busy lives. I was surprised that many could turn up today and happier still that we had a fun time together. Being with them, I hardly feel like the 'ah pek' that some would think I am. Being with them, I feel like I'm 17 again... and I want to stay this way for as long as I possibly can. Why wouldn't I?







5 comments:

Amalia Mohd Azmi said...

you know, you do look like seventeen at the last picture. seriously. hahah ;p

Beverly said...

Sorry lah i couldnt make it! XD
Haha!! Bro's birthday.... But the ktv i will not let u down again! HAhaha!!!!!

Resha said...

Married at your age? Just how old are you? xD

NiNi said...

heyyyy.... u same age as me kah. kaka. and why do i look so scary in the pics?!!
anyways, i still have to say this.
I'M THE WINNER!!!
MUAHAHAHA =0=

Caleb said...

Hey Alia: U think so? That's what some people tell me too. Haha! Thanks! =)

Bev: It's okay, u already told me and I understand. All right, Neway it is then! Haha! ;D

Resha: Take a wild guess ;p

Nini: I don't think u look scary. U just look really fair. Haha!. Yeah yeah... a winner u are ;p