Wednesday 12 November 2008

Reunion

It's been a week since I last saw my students and I was nervous as much as excited to see them again today. Considering the circumstances I was meeting them again, it was perfectly understandable.

Today's reunion was not one where we sat at a cafe and laughed about the 'good ol days' . It was a brief, tense and rushed meeting at the school canteen minutes in between their SPM English papers. Most people were amazed I was even there at all; and that includes me. I've never done anything like this before. Then again, I've never met students like these before.

At 7:40 in the morning, I found myself waking up to a phone call from one of them asking for advice. Those who know me would go "What?". Quite simply, I'm impossible to wake up when I'm asleep. So, actually responding to my phone ringing early in the morning is quite an amazing feat! I was more than happy to pick up the phone and happier still knowing that I played my part for them.

By 9:45 I was at my student's school helping him go through his literature and barely 10 minutes later, off I dashed to a nearby school where the rest of my students were. Time was in such short supply and I had to quickly say my "Hi"s, go through the paper with them and just as quickly say my "Bye"s.

Barely an hour back home, I was on my way to their school again to find out how they answered the paper. It's a good thing I live so near to their school though I wish I could have been at my other students' schools as well. Then again, teleporting isn't one of my abilities.

Our second meeting lasted longer and was less tense in nature, which allowed me to speak to them one by one. I was so happy to see their smiling faces as most of them were confident they had done well. I can only pray their confidence is merited.

As I walked down the slope towards the school gate, I wonder how much I was really able to help them. I guess even if I didn't, at least my presence would have meant something to them; and that, is all the comfort I'll ever need.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey caleb, i cant find u on tat day lea=.= mayb u went bak edi...

Caleb said...

I was at the canteen from 10:10 to 10:30 and again from 12:45 to about 1:15.

Was wondering where you were that day man. Anyway, we'll meet again after SPM yeah? Gambateh! =)