Monday 15 December 2008

A Day of Elegance

It was the perfect cure to my recent blues - a day out with my students!

I'd promised my graduated class of '08 that I'd take them out for the orchestra after SPM. Well, I fulfilled it on Sunday. It's been hard to get everyone together these days. Everyone's got their own plans and obstacles, so to get almost half the class together must be good. Of course I'm disappointed the rest couldn't make it but I'd rather focus on the positive things in life.

Getting there wasn't easy. There was heavy traffic and heavy rain. Even the KLCC car park was closed as it was full. Consider it being a Sunday, the sales, Christmas shopping and the last day of PC Fair and you'll understand why.

We managed to park our cars across KLCC Park and made it just in time for the concert. There was an adrenaline rush as we stepped into the beautifully illuminated orchestral hall. I guess it's usually the case when you're anticipating something new. The musicians looked elegant in their black suits and gowns and as the conductor appeared to enthusiastic applause, I sank stiffly into my chair. It was an absorbing experience and it made me recall the last and only time I was there, back when I was still in Taylor's. It was so long ago that I can't remember when I had to sit so still and so quietly for so long. My students clearly found it difficult to conform to such a disciplined environment. They're so used to fidgeting and making noise in class I guess you could say the adjustment was almost torturous for them!

Hearing their opinions after the 2 hour concert, it clearly showed they'd experienced something different from their usual outings. I hope this experience will encourage them to open their senses to new discoveries. Life's boring if it becomes routine. We should always give ourselves a chance to explore new things (well, as long as it's beneficial and legal!).

We ended a long day having pasta and some expensive window shopping at Pavilion; not to mention, meeting my 'Angel'! By the time I sent everyone in my car home, it was close to 10pm. Once I reached home, I sat in the darkness in my car. Feeling tired and sleepy, I could still hear the music lingering in my ears. I smiled a contented smile. I guess no matter what I face in life, I'll be all right as long as I have my students by my side.

The smart gentlemen in formal attire.
The lovely ladies in elegant evening wear.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

=( sad case didnt get to take a picture with the Belgium 23yrs old guy!! lol

Caleb said...

Hahaha! Yeah, we waited so long for him but he didn't show up. I'm telling you, he must have escaped with a disguise coz he knew Vianni was stalking him! Hahaha!