Thursday 18 December 2008

Reunion: Part 2

After having to cancel and reorganise the class reunion for my second group of students, I could be forgiven for wanting to cancel it for the second time. I thought this group would be the easiest to get together as there were only 8. However, nothing is ever simple in getting a whole class together in one spot; not when they don't need to come to my class anymore and a host of incidents turn into obstacles for just a one-day meeting.

So, it was just the lonely 2 students who joined me on our way to our karaoke session, where one more would join us much later. I was close to feeling depressed as the heavy rain stormed down upon us as I drove to Klang, growing fiercer all the time. It was as if the heavens were challenging my determination to see this reunion through.

In our K-room, I had a good 4 rounds of buffet dishes before we started warming up the mics. Then, as the night grew on, we found ourselves naturally having a good time. After our merry time of singing ended at 11pm, I drove us back to Kota Kemuning where we would meet with another one of our friends who couldn't make it due to work. All the way, it was non-stop singing in the car; as if our karaoke session never ended. Soon, the party became 5 as we paid a visit to another member of our group. She was the unfortunate victim of a daylight robbery incident the day before; one which robbed her of the chance to reunite with the group today. As soon as we sat down in her living room, things really started to pick up with crazy and funny antics forcing us to keep our voices down. A late night stop-over at McDonald's duly followed.

Sitting with them on those bright orange benches, chatting, joking and laughing over 4 large fries, it was like the good old days. It was a precious moment for us to savour, especially as some of them will be going away for National Service duty soon. By 1am we'd left our empty trays behind at McD's as I proceeded to send them home. As I said "good night" to the last one, a message popped up on my cell. It was from a student who I'd just sent home earlier,

"Thx a lot 4 2day ya.. ahmad! haha.. rly hv fun 2day.. when is d nx time huh? haha.. keep in touch la.. tk care"

I may have been a few dollars poorer after tonight but with gratitude like that, I feel like the richest guy on Earth!

No comments: