Friday 19 December 2008

Reunion: Part 3

Finally, it's done! Today, I got my 3rd group of students together for our reunion. The turnout, just as with previous groups, was not complete but we still managed to get half of the class together, so I was happy enough.

As usual, I picked up a few of my students on the way to our destination while the rest would drive themselves there. That made things a lot easier for me and we were all pretty much on time, although the ones who were there earlier teasingly complained for my being a few minutes late. Well, I only had to show them the number of our friends I was fetching to keep them quiet. Haha!

There was lots of catching up to do and everyone was in a cheerful mood as a chance to meet up was definitely better than what most of them had been doing lately - staring at the tv, the computer and the bed. It seems life has been really boring for most of them, especially those who're not working. So, there was a real sense of excitement and enjoyment as we chatted over dinner and drinks.

We spent most of our time playing 'chor dai tee' where I taught them how to play the 'Loser' version, since there were more than 4 of us. They clearly enjoyed this fresh take on the age-old card game. I can't remember seeing them laughing so much and having such a good time, it only made me ever more eager to organise future gatherings.
Considering the depressed state I was in from last week, tonight certainly capped a wonderful turnaround in my mood. I know my students often say they can't thank me enough but the truth is, I can't thank them enough too.

The guys doing our 'looking-at-the-stars' pose (or is it just 'looking-left'?)

The girls and I doing the classic 'hand-on-cheek' pose (except for the one on the right)


No comments: