Tuesday 9 December 2008

Foot Balls!


I started playing football regularly when I went to US. Funny huh? When I was in Malaysia, I didn't really play much although I was an avid fan. But when I got to America, a country where football is a sport in which you wear a full-head helmet and shoulder pads and charge your way through the field with the ball in your hand, I rediscovered the joys of playing the beautiful game.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ive continued playing futsal consistently back home ever since I returned. Come to think of it, it's been five years now since my high school friends and I started playing in that small futsal court in Teluk Pulai. These days, we play at the bigger and better turfed rubber grass courts in Pandamaran. Every Tuesday night, I would drive my heng tai and I to the court at 11pm and we would sweat it out and have a good laugh till 12.30am.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Recently, I've played in goal 'cause I've not been going to the gym. I'm not going to say I'm getting old and not as fit as I used to be. I've just not been going to the gym (trying to console myself here). Anyway, since I'm a fast runner on the pitch, I love attacking down the right wing but I've played in different positions before - central defence, right back, left back, central midfield; and somehow or rather, I keep getting hit in the balls! Whether it's a clearence shot, a shot at goal or a chip, the ball somehow ends up smack in between my balls. Man, I tell you, you don't know what pain is until you've been hit in the balls, that's all I can say.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Well, here's the funny thing - whenever I play in goal, I seem to get hit less often in the balls. In fact, I think it's happened only once or twice so far. Those of you guys who've played as a goal-keeper in futsal would know it's the most dangerous position to play in. Shots are flying everywhere, coming at you from right, left centre, top and bottom. I'm quite good in goal and so I manage to block most of the shots with my hands, legs, feet, chest and even my head. Well today, I topped all that. I blocked a goal-bound header with my balls! Enough said!

Well, this guy knows what it feels like! For some real Foot Balls action click on this link:

No comments: